The source of out ego is our tendency to identify ourselves with this world. Let us see how we identify ourselves in this world.
Let’s say that someone asks you the question ‘WHO ARE YOU?’ What would our answers possibly be….
- I am <My Name>
- I am a <Education, Profession etc> Eg: I am a Engineering Student
- I am a <Mother, father, son, daughter, wife, husband, friend, etc etc etc ………. of so and so>
- I am a <Happy, angry, possessive, jealous, loving etc etc…..> person
- I am an <Indian, American, Mexican, French, British, African,…….>
The above are a few instances of our ego identification. We identify ourselves with names, profession, relationships, moods, country, state, and many more things. Thus we get attached to whatever we identify with. So the first step in removing the ego from our minds is dis-identification from all the identities we created for our selves.
This identification that we create for ourselves is like a small circle that we draw around ourselves. It limits us. As we go on removing all these identities, we find that the circle grows bigger and bigger finally to the entire universe. We all are human beings with the same body parts and features irrespective of wherever we are from. Everyone has skin even before the color of the skin. So why are we so identified with the color ? The color is just like the paint in the wall of the house. This is the first step towards loving everyone. Similarly once we remove the identification that humans are superior to everything on earth, you will start feeling the all pervading divine energy in our planet and will also feel love and compassion towards every being.
One thing that we must observe while removing the identities is that we must also standup for what we are…..An example is If you are citizen of a country and your country requires your services, then it must be offered only to your country not anywhere else, but we must definitely refrain ourselves from getting into trivial fights when others provoke the ego that has identified with our motherland (I am not sure if I delivered this to the point I was trying to make).
No comments:
Post a Comment