Thursday, April 16, 2009

DRM Music

Digital Rights Management, has plenty of rules for music. The problem is that the rules were either not well thought of or is feeding the greed of the seller. If I buy a song for 99c, I as a customer must be able to listen and copy the song to wherever I want. But that's not the case with DRM copyrighted music.

Let’s say we are in the 1980’s . I go to the music store and buy a cassette of my favorite artist’s new album. While buying it, if they ask me to sign a contract saying, I am licensed to play the cassette only in my living room, wouldn't I think the seller is nuts? This is what DRM is doing these days….. Well I find that a very funny licensing term.

I’d rather buy DRM free music from eMusic or Amazon.com

No comments: