Monday, February 23, 2009

A misinterpretation of patriotism

We were watching the 81st academy awards with our friends. And 'Slumdog Millionaire' nailed it . Amidst a lot of discussions about each award, I happen to inform everyone that I didnt vote for SDM for the best movie. Well there were people who agreed that the movie really was over hyped. The surprising thing to me was when one of them who supported the movie criticized my patriotism for my country for not voting for SDM. This is what led me to this post. Well if I have to vote for a movie just because it was about India, what about my personal opinion of the movie. Being an Indian, the story is nothing unusual to me, and I have seen better movies than SDM in India itself. Try watching Rang De Basanti , Kancheepuram, Anbe Sivam etc.

Now getting back to the misinterpretation of patriotism. I would prefer to show my patriotism, by buying clothing and material that are imported from India to the developed countries. If I buy a kurti for $20, out of which $10 will reach India and $2 to the one who made the kurti, which would allow the entire family of that person to eat for two days. This is how I show my patriotism, by buying Indian made products even when I reside outside India. I would show my patriotism by donating to foundations like Akshayapatra. If I donate $29 for Akshayapatra, a child can get free lunch at school for a year. And that is where my patriotism is rooted to and not for voting for an Indian movie made by a British director . [ I am not being racist of anything or anyone. I am just trying to prove my point ]

No comments: