Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pradarshanam in temples


I was with my mother in a temple doing prayers. After the prayer, I started going around the diety in the anti-clockwise direction. My mother stopped me from doing so and said that we must always go around the diety in the clockwise direction. I was of age 5 or 6 at the time. When I asked why my mother could not give much of an explanation and so she said thats the way it has been done for ages. Ok, now to the point am trying to make. It dawned into my brains as to why our anchestors said we must go around in clockwise. It is to teach that we must always go with time one step at a time in the direction time takes us. No anti-clockwise because they didnt want us to dwell in the past. They wanted to teach us to live in the PRESENT. Even something as trivial as going around the diety has been set with a very profound thinking by our Vedic ancestors.

2 comments:

Prashanth said...

So you mean to say that the system of clock-wise (moving along with time) and anti-clockwise (moving backwards in time) was already there even when clocks were not invented ?

Clocks and their related rotating directions came much later than these rituals.So your explanation is not reasonable.There might be some other reason.

SandhyaDeepak said...

Well the clocks may not have existed, but the sun always existed and moved only forward not backwards.